"Azerbaijani" vs. "Azeri" in English Usage

Brian Hayden bkhayden1990 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 28 22:28:23 UTC 2014

Dear SEELANGers,

I'm looking for trustworthy information and advice about using
"Azerbaijani" and "Azeri" in English. Since everything I've ever read about
Azerbaijan was written in Russian, I don't know what the common usage (or,
if it's any different, proper usage) of these two words are in academic
literature and English-language journalism. I'm interested in their usage
both as nouns (referring to a person from Azerbaijan) and as adjectives
referring to anything from and/or associated with Azerbaijan and the
Azerbaijani ethnos. Is "Azeri" even acceptable (a few dictionaries say that
азер -- my apologies to anyone who might be offended -- is rude slang for
Azerbaijanis in Russian.)? Does "Azerbaijani" refer to the political
entity, and "Azeri" to the language, culture, and ethnicity, or is there no
real distinction?

Sincerely,

Brian Hayden

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs