NetSiouan

Robert L. Rankin rankin at lark.cc.ukans.edu
Tue Nov 10 15:03:54 UTC 1998

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Koontz John E wrote:
> NetSiouan is a rubric for a technique of representing languages with
> Siouan phonologies in ASCII for distribution over an ASCII mail channel.

> Voiceless Fricatives                                t^e, se, s^e, xe
> Voiced Fricatives                                   d^e, ze, z^e, g^e ~
> The t^ and d^ are theta and eta.

Eta probably a typo for "edh".

I use [0] and dh for theta and edh since 0 in ASCII is, in effect, a
theta.  If you use one of those fancy windows email readers, it may look
like a zero to you.  t^ and d^ are just too far out for my taste.

Several people use caps for accented vowels AEIOU.

I use V: for length.

Netscape 4.x allows you to use the Siouan SSDoulos and other fonts in
email directly.  Probably a number of other readers as well.  We should
work toward making this standard for our work.  In the meantime, John's
suggestions look great and make communication possible.

So when is the next Siouan Conference?  :)