Friend, town words.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at Colorado.EDU
Mon Nov 23 02:26:45 UTC 1998

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 dcosta at socrates.berkeley.edu wrote:
> >>BTW, are any linguists currently working on Winnebago, or did that all
> >> dry up when Zeps died?
>
> BTW, is anybody working up a Chiwere grammar, now that the language
> extinct?

I've taken the liberty of posting this on behalf of David Costa (an
Algonquianist working with Miami-Illinois and Shawnee).  He's not on the
list, so you might want to cc any responses to him.

Since Ken Miner isn't on this list, I'll report from Bob Rankin that Ken
has some hopes of finishing a Winnebago morphology to accompany his
dictionary work.

These are both fairly neglected Siouan languages.  I think there might now
be more in print on Tutelo (nod to Giulia Oliverio) and Biloxi (nod to
Paula Einaudi) than on Chiwere. There are three Winnebago grammars around,
but they don't cover the morphology completely, to judge by the stuff in
Miner's Field Lexixon, and all are obscurely to vanishingly obscurely
published.  They do have a fair amount of lexical material available, and
there is a fair amount of Winnebago text available, mostly unpublished.