Archaic A1 p- in Dakotan.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at Colorado.EDU
Fri Apr 2 15:47:40 UTC 1999

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Carolyn Quintero wrote:
> What's the meaning of hiyu which Connie mentions?

I believe it should be, morpheme for morpheme, thi(h)i in OP:  'arriving
here to set out thither', but I'm not positive with this form, for several
reasons, and I'm not in a position at the moment to check.  I suppose,
then, that Osage would be something like chihu?  I'm not aware of forms
like this being reduplicated in OP unless the second element is a
positional, in which case it isn't inflected.  Such forms are used as
aorist/inceptive auxiliaries.