Archaic A1 p- in Dakotan + apologies.

David Rood Rood at Uni-Koeln.DE
Sat Apr 3 14:57:59 UTC 1999

Connie is quoting Buechel with complete accuracy, but I think Buechel is
wrong about this.  These forms should, given the sentence examples, be
vertative ("home") forms -- a man is greeting and seeking information from
someone he hasn't seen in a long time and who has been away.  So the
correct substitutions are waku and yaku, not wa?u and ya?u.  I'm pretty
positive that's true for s^ku, because the vertative is the only possible
source I can imagine for the "k" in the Buechel form.  But now I wonder
about the other one, and the fact that Bob tells me I'm right about
Buechel's grammar having "bu" for "wa?u".  Bob, I need a lesson in sound
changes:  you said "bu" is expected for a glottal or vowel initial verb,
so what's expected for a k-initial verb -- maybe phu?  Why not *pku?
And how does this relate to the "say" paradigm, with ephe 'I say" and ehe
'you say'?

And while you're on the subject of "b" in Dakotan, is there an etymology
for "abeya" 'scattered, helter-skelter'?  That "b" never bothered me until
one of the really alert Danish students noticed it last week, to my
embarrassment.  There's always something new to learn, eh?

David

David S. Rood
Professor of LInguistics
Institut fuer Sprachwissenschaft