Stem 'to come' (was Re: Archaic A1 p- in Dakotan)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at Colorado.EDU
Sun Apr 4 10:09:48 UTC 1999

> This is fun.  I had at first assumed that Buechel had just gotten parts of
> two different verbs, hu (?u) 'come' and ku 'come.vert', but now I'm not so
> sure.  There's still a lot I don't understand about the details of Dakotan
> sound changes, esp. in these paradigms.

There are a couple of little things that make me wonder if the stem for
'to come' (or 'to be en route hither') might not be PS *u (or *?u) instead
of *hu.

- Dakota inflects it as bu, lu, (y)u in that hi=yu compound.

- All MV languages have a vertitive form in *k, not *kh, cf., OP gi, Da
  ku, Wi guu.  Of course Wi guu could be from *khuu or *kuu, but then it
  wouldn't inflect as a *k-stem, which it does.

- OP seems to have i, not hi.  The proximate is ai, which could represent
loss of h between vowels, and the first and second persons phi and s^i
certainly have hi, but the stem is just i.  I'm not sure of the inclusive.