Archiving Siouan Languages List

Koontz John E John.Koontz at Colorado.EDU
Sun Apr 4 18:36:37 UTC 1999

Some of you may remember that I made an abortive attempt to have the have
the Siouan list archived by the listserve at the University of Colorado.
This worked for a few weeks, until the authorities noticed that I had
turned on archiving.  Apparently they don't really have the space to
accomodate this and we started to fill up what there was.

Recently - well ages ago, but I move slowly - I noticed that the Linguist
List organization offers to archive linguistically-oriented lists at their
site.  I have availed us of that opportunity and you can now find the list
archived at:

http://linguistlist.org/list-archives.html

under the heading of Siouan.  Recent posts are already there and the
backlog has been formatted and submitted.

Note that there is a subscription link which still forwards through our
approval process.  It's something you can refer colleagues to.

    http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-siouan.html

Here are a few comments from Anthony Aristar that I'd like to read
into the record:

"Please note that the mirroring procedure we use depends crucially on the
e-mail addresses which we've taken from the mail-header of the message you
sent us.  So tell us when any of these are about to change, or the
mirroring will fail. If you decide to moderate your list, for example, the
address of originating messages will almost certainly change.  So please
do tell us *before* you do this, so we can make the necessary changes."

"Please note that the Listserv will correctly store messages with MIME
attachments.  However, such messages will appear as gibberish on the
Web, since the listserv does not decode them."

"Welcome to the LINGUIST archive! Anthony"

Thanks!

JEK