assiniboine

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Wed Apr 7 01:29:31 UTC 1999

Hello, all --

May I ask you nice people if anyone knows of any lexical work that has
been done on Assiniboine? Are any of you currently working on this
language?

In addition to my current field methods class on Lakhota, which is lots
of fun, I am meeting this quarter with two students to go through some
Assiniboine lessons prepared for a course offered in a college near Fort
Peck. (Perhaps some of you know about these.) One of these students is a
semi-speaker, and it is very interesting to be exposed to the
differences between Assiniboine and Lakhota, particularly in the area
(so far; it's early yet) of stress. This student tells me that people in
her family really want to see a dictionary of Assiniboine prepared, and
so I wondered if anything has been done on this. (I have Levin's book,
but have not worked through it carefully yet.)

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Pam Munro