Active/Stative Verbs in Crow

Rgraczyk at aol.com Rgraczyk at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 19:38:16 UTC 1999

As a change of pace from 'hau' and 'hiyu', something more on stative verbs:

Crow has a small set of verbs that can be inflected with either active or
stative person prefixes.  Most of these have the dak/daC 'by force'
instrumental prefix.  The following are the ones that I have come across in
my data, with the glosses for active (A) and stative (S) uses:

dasshipi' (A) 'go beyond, pass'; (S) 'cave in, sink, collapse'
daxchi' (A) 'tie up, imprison' (S) 'choke on food, gag'
datchi'pi (A) 'carve, chip away, pare, whittle'; (S) da'tchipi 'pinched'
daxshia'shishii (A) 'break into pieces, smash'; (S) daxshishi 'broken'
	(active form is reduplicated)
du'sshua  (A) 'bend'; (S) dasshua' 'bent' (active form has the 'by hand'
prefix)

Karen Wallace mentions in her dissertation that xachi'i 'move' can occur with
either active or stative prefixes.

The dak- prefix also occurs in a number of stative stems that have no active
counterparts.  I have about 25 of these in my data; the following is a
sampling:

dakka'hpi 'blown away, blown by the wind'
dakkawi' 'wide apart'
dakku'chi 'swing, wave'
dappachi' 'wide'
dappia'xi 'light in weight'
dappi'chi 'soaked'
dappo'oshi 'inflated, blown up'
dappo'oxi 'blistered'  (this pair looks like consonantal ablaut)
daschushi' 'smoothed down, flat'
datcheepi 'penetrate, go inside the body'
datchichi' 'winded, exhausted, played out'

Randy