Stem 'to come' (was Re: Archaic A1 p- in Dakotan)

Robert L. Rankin rankin at lark.cc.ukans.edu
Mon Apr 5 01:46:15 UTC 1999

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999 BARudes at aol.com wrote:

> extent it is relevant, the corresponding stem for 'arrive, come' in Catawba
> is -uu?-, not -huu?- as sometimes listed elsewhere (e.g., Siebert 1945, which
> contains a number of underanalyzed forms).  The conjugation is: c^uu?- 'I
> come', yuu?- 'you come', huu?- 'he comes' (where h- is the 3rd singular
> marker), etc.

That's an interesting observation in light of the fact that 'come' is a
verb for which the sound correspondences are irregular.  Several languages
treat it as {hu:}, but Dakotan (perhaps others) has {?u}.  And there are
also interesting correspondences between syllable-initial and
syllable-final glottalization across Siouan.  If the Catawban 3rd person
can definitively be shown to have been h- and Siebert proved wrong on
this, we would have a good analogical model to explain the Siouan
reflexes.