vowel initial stems are not glottal initial in Lak

David Rood Rood at Uni-Koeln.DE
Tue Apr 6 07:34:29 UTC 1999

Dear Bob, John,  et al,
	Naturally it would behoove me to do some homework before plunging
into this, since I haven't memorized even the regular sound laws for
Dakotan or Siouan yet, but I jump in recklessly anyway.  I need to point
out, in the light of the 'come' discussion with Blair et al., that there
is a CONTRAST synchronically in Lakhota between vowel-initial and
glottal-initial stems.  It shows up in the dual forms by contrasting uNkV
with uNk?V.  (By the way, dollar signs appear just fine on this computer.)
	I haven't memorized all the right examples, but 'come' is
definitely vowel-initial (uNku pi), whereas 'use' and 'be' are both
glottal initial (uNk?uN pi).  "i" 'to arrive going' is vowel initial, I
think, and I'm not sure about 'shoot' or 'wear around the shoulders'
(stems "o" and "iN", respectively).  Buechel gives "uNk?o" for shoot, and
that sounds right, but I can't check "iN" since it occurs in Buechel
only in compounds (and I can't think of an example to look up right now).
So it seems to me that your alleged parallel between 'come' and 'shoot'
might be wrong -- it's not analogy that keeps 'shoot' from having *bo as
the first person, but whatever the ancestor of that glottal stop is.  'to
think', echiN, conjugates echami, echani, but uNkechiN pi, unfortunately
-- and I'm not sure this "iN" is the same as the shawl verb anyway.  It is
perhaps significant, however, that it's echiN and not *ec?iN.
	David
David S. Rood
Professor of LInguistics
Institut fuer Sprachwissenschaft