etymology of MANDAN

Jimm G GoodTracks jggoodtracks at juno.com
Fri Aug 6 02:21:20 UTC 1999

Alan!
Thank You for your letter of explaination and clarification.  I was not
aware that your question was in reference to enhancing an OED entry.  Had
I know that was your focus, I would have surely wrote with a different
perspective.
Now that I understand your purpose, I do hope that you are able to
determine the term's historical origins, which perhaps may be disclosed
from a review of early writings and documents.  It seems that to date,
noone has been able to shed light on the designation, which surely there
is an explaination -- somewhere.
I agree that all words used in English speech are legitimate, as you
explained so well.  Indeed, we look to the OED for those very kinds of
words, terms, etc. and the etymology provided provides interesting
insight.

Thanks again, for your letter.  Perhaps, when you do learn the
etymological history, you will share the same with Siouian Lists for
general interest.
Jimm