S^ahaN as 'Sioux'

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Aug 21 21:56:52 UTC 1999

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Alan H. Hartley wrote:

> Here are a few more instances of the word in English. I have attached an
> MSWord file of the material more or less as I submit it to the OED, and
> also the equivalent text file.

It looks like the form Saone(s) for a grouping of subdivisions of the
Teton is more widely attested than I had realized.

I don't think that it can have anything to do with c^haNona, as I think s
and ch (and even sh) are pretty well kept apart in the sources.

However, since at least Lewis & Clark's variant sah-on-ne is clear that
there is a final n + vowel, it seems unlikely that it has to do with
s^ahaN.