arapaho? name inquiry

Mark Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unl.edu
Mon Dec 13 20:24:19 UTC 1999

Hello Folks:
I'm forwarding on an inquiry from a friend in California doing some research on the Arapaho. While ours is a primarily Siouanist bunch, I figured someone might have some clues to this possibly Algonquian name.

The name in question is WASHEE, a Ft Reno fellow associated with some ledger drawings, sometimes identified as Arapaho, sometimes Cheyenne. Washee may have been known as "Elk."

I only have the 1983  Salzmann "Dictionary of Contemporary Arapaho Usage" at hand for my reference. It offers the following:

    hiwo'xu
    Elk, singular

    (hi)wo'xu:hu:
    Elk, plural

note; ( ' ) represents the stress marker on the preceding vowel... not the glottal stop.

It is conceivable that ELK has become the (anglicized?) WASHEE?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Mark

Mark Awakuni-Swetland, Lecturer
Department of Anthropology