Questions on Incorporation

John P. Boyle jpboyle at midway.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 19 15:05:03 UTC 1999

Dear Fellow Siouanists,

	I am taking a two quarter seminar with Jerry Sadock on
Incorporation.  I would like to do a comparative study of incorporation in
Siouan and I was wondering if I could get your help.  I don't think
anything like this has been done before and I would like to include as many
languages of the family as possible.  If you could answer the following
questions I would greatly appreciate it.

	1) Does your language have a productive system of noun incorporation?

	2) Does the language allow other thing (post positions, etc.) to be
incorporated?

	3) Do you know what types of things can be incorporated? (inanimate
nouns, non-specific
		nouns, salient nouns, people/characters, etc.)

	4) Do you find that younger speakers incorporate less than older
speakers?

	5) Do you know of any published or non-published papers on the
subject on incorporation
		in your language?

	6) Lastly, could you send some glossed examples of any and all
types of incorporation in
		your particular language?

Thank you very much.  Anything else that you think would be helpful, I
would be grateful for.  I'm looking forward to comparing incorporation
within the Siouan family and if anyone is interested I would be happy to
send you a copy of the final paper.

	John P. Boyle
	University of Chicago
	<jpboyle at midway.uchicago.edu>