Siouan Conference comment.

Robert L. Rankin rankin at lark.cc.ukans.edu
Thu Feb 25 19:54:04 UTC 1999

Dear Friends,

For those in the U.S. who intend to go to this year's Siouan and Caddoan
conference in Regina, I learned the hard way that, if you're flying in and
out of Canada, there are new identification requirements.  A U.S. driver's
license used to be enough, but now they want a birth certificate or
passport.  (This is apparently not true of road crossings though.)

Airline employees at airports like Kansas City's, where there isn't a
whole lot of international travel, can be very sticky.  They wanted to
kick me off the plane, but I flew on to New York, my "jumping off place"
and their attitude in NYC, predictably, was "well OK, but don't forget
next time."  Needless to say, this is an American requirement; the
Canadians never asked for ID.  This time I'm not forgetting.

Best,