Chicago Linguistic Society

John P. Boyle jpboyle at midway.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 28 15:43:01 UTC 1999

        I just wanted to remind everyone about the CLS conference in April
(22-24).  As you may have seen, one of our pannels is on language
diversity. This pannel was conceived to look at "funny data" (i.e.
languages more often than not ignored).  As of now we have not recieved a
lot of abstracts and I wanted to encourage you to either submit and
abstract and/or to encourage students to submit abstracts.  The deadline
for abstract submission is Monday, Feb.1st and they can be e-mailed to the
following address <cls at diderot.uchicago.edu.>.  Abstracts dealing with
Native American (North, Central, and South), Austronesian, and African
languages will be given preference over those dealing with Indo-European
languages.  Thanks and I hope to see some of you there.

        John P. Boyle
        jpboyle at midway.uchicago.edu
        Chicago Linguistic Society
                A CALL FOR PAPERS

April 22-24, 1999
University of Chicago

Main Session:
We invite original, unpublished work on any topic of general linguistic
interest.

Invited Speakers:
        Beth Levin (Northwestern University)
        Paul Smolensky (Johns Hopkins University)

Panels:
We invite original, unpublished work which addresses one of the panel
topics below.

Language, Identity, and the Other
Thursday, April 22

Language serves as a means to unite as well as to exclude groups or
individuals.  This panel will explore the linguistic mechanisms by which
this is accomplished in different speech communities.

Invited Speakers:
        Robert Greenberg (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill)
        Michael Silverstein (University of Chicago)

In conjunction with the University of Chicago workshop on theory and data
        in speech research
ChiPhon 99 New Syntheses:
        Multi-Disciplinary Approaches to Basic Units of Speech
Friday, April 23

This panel seeks to synthesize findings from linguistics and other fields
which investigate linguistic behavior, to determine whether these can be
used as evidence for a unified theory of basic units of speech processing.

Invited Speakers:
        John Ohala (University of California, Berkeley)
        Joesph Perkell (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)

Theory and Linguistic Diversity
Saturday, April 24

Approximately five thousand languages are spoken throughout the world
today.  This panel seeks to explore the ways in which linguistic theories
attempt to account for such variety.

Invited Speakers:
        Mark Baker (Rutger University)
        Joan Bresnan (Stanford University)
        R.M.W. Dixon (University in Australia)

Please submit ten copies of a one-page 500 word anonymous abstract for a
twenty minute paper (optionally one additional page for data and/or
references may be appended), along with a 3 by 5 card with:
        1 your name
        2 affiliation
        3 address, phone number, and e-mail address
        4 title of the paper
        5 an indication for which panel or which particular subdivision of
           the main session (eg: phonetics, phonology, syntax, semantics,
           historical linguistics, etc.) the paper is intended.
The abstract should be as specific as possible and it should clearly
indicate the data covered, outline the arguments presented, and include
any broader implications of the work.  An individual may present at most
one single and one co-authored paper.  Authors must submit a camera-ready
copy of the paper at the time of the conference in order to be considered
for publication.  Only a selection of papers presented at CLS 35 will be
published.

This years deadline for receipt of abstracts is February 1, 1999.  Send
abstracts to:
        Chicago Linguistic Society
        1010 East 59th St.
        Chicago, IL 60637
        773.702.8529
Information on e-mail submission and additional guidelines for abstracts
may be obtained by visiting our website at
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/humanities/CLS/CLS.html, by writing to the
above address, or by e-mailing us at cls at diderot.uchicago.edu.