etymology of MANDAN

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Sat Jul 31 22:07:54 UTC 1999

"Robert L. Rankin" wrote:

> unless it is transparent in the native language of that tribe itself (and
> sometimes even then), any analysis is suspect.

Perhaps too broad a generalization... ASSINIBOINE, for example, has a
solid Algonquian etymology, and CHINOOK is Salishan.

Ethnonym origins certainly are subject to folk etymology and careless
scholarship (just pick a likely word from the dictionary), but
place-names have suffered even more!

> So here I'd guess there's no n/w relationship.

Thanks for that. It makes a Dakotan etymology difficult.

And thanks for the prompt reply.

Regards,
Alan