Siouan Conference Followup

Koontz John E John.Koontz at Colorado.EDU
Wed Jun 16 07:44:16 UTC 1999

Various Web references for attendees at SACC 19, including fonts, keyboard
definition, computer-aided dialect adaptation of texts, dicitonary software,
etc.

The home page for the Linguist list:

http://www.linguistlist.org/

The archive page for the Siouan list:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/siouan.html

You can subscribe, or just look at the archives from time to time.

Here's the basic SIL computing page:

http://www.sil.org/computing/

The list of Windows software specifically is at:

http://www.sil.org/htbin/search-softcat.pl?kw=Windows

This is the font package I recommend ($100 US for individuals):

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/encore_fonts.html

SIL provides some free IPA fonts made with this:

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/encore_ipa.html

Sample Siouan fonts that I have made with it can be found at:

http://www.colorado.edu/ling/cesnalps/Services/ssfonts.htm

(These are in an incomplete set of web pages for CeSNaLPS, the Plains
language center at the U. of Colorado.)

Here is the keyboard definition tool that SIL provides.  I used it to make
keyboards for at least some of the fonts above.

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/keyman.html

SIL's freeware dictionary database and interlinear text annotater is
Shoebox:

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/shoebox.html

I think this is the tool I've used before to convert the dictionary files,
etc., to MS Word for printing in fancy ways:

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/sfc.html

This is the parsing tool that looks most likely to work with Siouan
languages, though I've never used it:

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/sfc.html

This is the software that lets you do acoustic analysis of sound files:

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/sfc.html

The Siouan Archives version of the Bushotter Texts are at:

http://www.colorado.edu/ling/cesnalps/Projects/SA/saindex.htm

(These need some work to be more usefully formatted.)

SIL pages dealing with CARLA (aka CADA), or Computer Aided Dialect
Adaptation:

http://www.sil.org/computing/noc/151carla.htm

http://www.sil.org/computing/noc/151carla.htm

The tools for doing CARLA are Ample (see above) and Stamp:

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/stamp.html