Incorporation

Robert L. Rankin rankin at lark.cc.ukans.edu
Tue Mar 9 23:55:25 UTC 1999

John Koontz writes:
> Off the top of my head, I don't know how 'cough' and 'sneeze' are
> inflected in Omaha-Ponca, but I will make a mental note to check my
> fieldnotes.

Might be interesting to see what you and/or Dorsey have for Omaha proper.

Kathy Shea, in Ponca, got hu-a-xpe, hu-dha-xpe, hu-a~-xpai with all three
infixed.  Also hechi 'sneeze' was he-a-chi, he-dha-chi, he-a~-chi, again
with all three persons infixed.

So 'sneeze' is another incorporation, but here I can't identify the
element he-.  I'm still assuming that ho/hu in 'cough' is indeed 'voice'.

I'll keep looking.