Siouan language programs?

Jimm G GoodTracks jggoodtracks at juno.com
Tue May 18 03:53:09 UTC 1999

Bob:
In regard to your update for the Plains Volume for the Handbook of the
NAm by the Smithsonian, follows is a current update on the teaching of
Baxoje-Jiwere (Ioway-Otoe/Missouri) languages at this time:

Otoe-Missouria Tribe at Red Rock, Oklahoma=
	1998.  Tony Arkikita perform survey of enrolled speakers of Jiwere
identified 6 persons who have semi fluency/ knowledge of language
(speaking & comprehension).  4 are still living. 70yoa+.  Total fluent
speakers (first language)=zero.
	1999.  Kenneth Black asked to teach evening adult classes.  10-15
attending. Using IO Books I & II as only text.  KB says the word/
phrases; students told to write it out as it sounds to them.  KB also
supplies oral history.  Tribe provides class room space, but no monetary,
moral support, etc.  Class currently suspended as KB tends health
concerns.  Hope to resume and add Autumn language classes at Headstart
via some younger person.  KB declines teaching children.  Truman Black,
OKCity, said to hold class in OKCity.

Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma at Perkins, OK=
	Tribe has hired an interested historian, archivist, (Cultural
Preservationist) who has sponcered members to various seminars, museums,
etc. in past/ current several years.  Previously, it is said that Truman
Black offered class instructions (at public school?), but was
discontinued as some political persons objected to an enrolled Otoe
teaching enrolled Ioways in Ioway area (jurisdiction) [Note: This latter
information was given me by several IO individuals.  So I am not  the
original source who shares that note with you.]

Iowa Tribe of Kansas/ Nebraska at White Cloud, KS=
	No classes, no support, no interest by Tribe.  Some varied interest by
perhaps 12 - 18 known enrolled members pursuing random language learning
at own cost & time.  Some small cultural grants given these individuals
by Kansas Historical Society for various projects, songs, language,
crafts, etc.

Jimm GT