Locative Postpositions (was Re: Mandan (again))

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Oct 23 19:42:49 UTC 1999

> In fact, the postposition is -n/-l.  As it cannot occur as a free form,
> there is a tendency to cite it with some neutral demonstrative base like e
> 'that (aforesaid)'.  Add to this that V + e might develop as V and even
> linguists tend to lean on this crutch.  Still, I'm pretty sure the e is
> spurious in forms like til.

Of course, I should have said thil, since, it's thi(=pi) in Dakotan, the
stem being aspirated.

The constuction is thi=l, with = indicating the enclitic boundary.  The
corresponding Omaha-Ponca form would be tti=adi, in which =di after i
requires the intervening formant -a-, an archaism with parallels in
Dakotan, too.  In Omaha-Ponca the rule appears to have been, when adding
=di or =tta (or various other postpositions) to a stem that ends in -e,
change e to a first.  If the stem ends in some other vowel, append a
first.  Most of the surviving examples involve -i finals but other vowels
occur.  Many of the forms alternate with ones that lack the -a-, but
tti=adi and tti=atta are consistent.

I suspect that the -a- in all these cases is essentially an absolute
marker/nominalizer.  These usually derive historically from old articles
or demonstratives.

The following is reworded for clarity and complete sentences!