augmentative/diminutive shifting

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 8 15:18:49 UTC 1999

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, SHEA KATHLEEN DORETTE wrote:
> In working on Ponca, I found a couple of examples that might be
> interesting.

More examples, from Omaha-Ponca, trying not to duplicate Kathy or Bob.

>>From Dorsey:

=xti : =xc^i  the enclitic 'very, truely'

iNthaN : iNc^haN  'now' : 'right now'
(I think this is the proper distinction.)

iNc^haNga 'mouse'

Ones I got in fieldwork (Omaha):

c^c^eska 'short'

haNegaNc^he 'dawn'
(haN=egaN=the night-like-the)

Dorsey often has MaNs^c^iNge(=iN) for 'the Rabbit', but the speakers I
dealt with would only accept MaNs^tiNge.

Mark Swetland once mentioned to me some c^ forms that had to do with being
disheveled, but I'm not positive of their form at the moment.

I use s^ and c^ above for the alveo-palatal series.