augmentative/diminutive shifting

Robert L. Rankin rankin at lark.cc.ukans.edu
Thu Sep 9 15:17:12 UTC 1999

> Yuman there are also ideophones, though fewer in number, aug/dim
> shifts seem more limited to quality terms (and derived nominals) than
> in Siouan. Given a putative relationship between Siouan and Hokan,
> perhaps shifting goes back to before the current families evolved.

I don't think it's legitimate scholarship to try to establish "universals"
by appealing to mysterious, hypothetical "deep" relationships (especially
those as long-abandoned as "Hokan-Siouan").  The data show that within
Siouan the diminutive and related "little old lady" palatal replacements
are all innovations (restricted to very specific subgroups and languages).

I guess what I'm saying is that the "universal" that such replacements
represent ancient derivational affixes ... isn't.  I.e., isn't really
universal.  But there is nothing wrong with "tendencies."