Siouan personal names

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Sep 21 15:17:51 UTC 1999

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Robert L. Rankin wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Alan H. Hartley wrote:
> >
> > For anyone interested, there is a list of 8 Osage and 10 Kansa personal
> > names (in Spanish (?) orthography and with French translations) from a
> > Spanish document of 1795 printed, in English translation, in A. P.
> > Nasatir 1952 _Before Lewis  and Clark_ vol. I, p. 327.

In Nasatir or Houck (both unfortunately packed away) there is also a
reference to the Omaha name Waz^iNga Sabe 'Blackbird' (literally 'black
bird', but referring to the raven), spelled Wajinga Saby, at about the
same date, in connection with a treaty with the Spanish authorities.  I
think the gloss is pajaro negro.  I hadn't noticed the Osage and Kansa
names.