augmentative/diminutive shifting

SHEA KATHLEEN DORETTE kdshea at falcon.cc.ukans.edu
Tue Sep 7 23:55:54 UTC 1999

In working on Ponca, I found a couple of examples that might be
interesting.  One of the speakers I work with tells me that the
(Omaha-)Ponca word for 'blue' is ttu, while the word for 'green' is ccu
(with c standing for an alveo-palatal voiceless affricate that patterns
with the stops p, t, and k, as does j with b, d, and g in Ponca).  Since
Siouan languages typically have one word for blue and green, ccu seems to
be an innovation.

Another example that I came across recently when I was talking to a native
Ponca speaker at the Ponca Powwow recently is what I'll term a kind of
"baby talk," or what an older person might use with a younger person I was
told:  dhaecHewadhe' 'You poor thing!' (with dh representing a voiced
dental resonant, H aspiration--a raised h, and ' an accent on the
preceding vowel). The ordinary form of this word would be dhaetHewadhe'.
The speaker said his grandfather would use the form with cH substituted
for tH when speaking to him.  I thought I had another example but am not
sure of it.  I checked with my main consultant, and he confirmed the
occasional usage of a special kind of speech by older people with younger.
This is probably the same type of speech that John refers to as "little
old lady speech," but I need to get more examples.

By the way, John Nichols gave an interesting paper at the last WAIL
conference about the dilemmas of having to compile a dictionary when there
are two competing types of speech in the community--one in use among
"younger" (about 20 to 60 years old) speakers and the other among elders.
This was in Ojibway, and I think most of the examples involved
palatalization in the younger peoples' speech with a consequent
re-ordering of phonological rules.  (I don't have a copy of his handout
with me.)  Anyway this is an interesting topic, and I agree with John
Koontz that it deserves more study.

Kathy Shea