Initial Comments on C&H

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Aug 4 00:01:56 UTC 2000

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, R. Rankin wrote:
> JEK wrote:

> > Ooo.  How about my all time favorite [OP] reduplication:  e=s^e's^e
> > 'you keep saying'.  I really wish I knew if one could say ?e=he'he 'I
> > keep saying'.  Or how does one say 'he keeps saying'?  aaa=i,
> > eaa=i (?)
>
> David says in print that ephapha, the 1st person reduplicated version of 'say'
> exists.  And shouldn't there be a reduplicated form meaning 'to smoke
> cigarettes iteratively'?  The verb is ?uNpa in Dakotan, so the redup. forms
> should be:
>
> 1sg  muM'papa
> 2sg  nuM'papa
> 3sg  ?uMpapa
> 1pl  uNk?uMpapapi
>
> Bob

I've thought about it, but can't get anything to come out
papauNm(a)uNm(a)uN.  Still, I think Bob has come very close here with the
inclusive form.  If true, this may suggest that words are birds.

=====

Hello:

It's August 3, 2000 CE.  Yes, the Siouan List is still active, though
everyone is on vacation or in the field, it seems, except a small but
dedicated group who are wrestling with the issue of levels of word in
Siouan.  With occasional excursions into reduplication.

Those of you who are disappointed at the level of discourse in this
contribution can consult the archives of the List at:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/siouan.html.

JEK