Omaha nasal vowels

Ardis R Eschenberg are2 at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Aug 24 18:50:35 UTC 2000

OK last message from me today:
oN at ends of words does sound like a schwa (as can be seen on the tribal
cemetery sign 'UmoNha').  Said more slowly, the nasality does show up
though (citation form).
Catherine, I agree kombtha is kkoNbdha.  That was sloppy of me.  I've been
transcribing 'he wants' as kkoNntha though.  Perhaps, I just added the 'n'
unthinkingly.  However,  I believe I was taking the nasal consonant in
'want' as underlying based on the 2nd person where there is no other
consonant after the nasal (?) vowel.
 shkkoNna 'you want'
I guess the correct analysis is shkkoNa with an empathetic 'n' from the
transition from a nasal vowel? I would have thought that rather than a
consonantal sound the second vowel would simply nasalize.  Rather like
shkkoNazhi 'be still, idle' where there is no 'n' but rather some
nasalization on the 'a.'
Or is this 'n' in shkkoNna' part of second person conjugation?  I guess
this must be the case.  Help, John!
I apologize for ignorance.  Underlying verb forms can be difficult in
UmoNhoN with its conjugation system.
I know I am influenced by how we are writing at the school so I also
apologize for slipping out of net siouan.
I consistently hear idadoN and iNdadoN for 'what' here including in fast
speech (prayers).  I'll try that minimal pair when we do body parts, it
would be hard to elicit buttocks out of the blue right now.
Water sounds like 'ni' to me & this carries over to words containing the
morpheme 'water.'  HaziniegaN (purple 'grape-water-like')-even the extra
vowel after it does not make any nasalization apparent.
Anyway, back on line & cluttering up everyone's boxes already.  Everyone
will be happy when I am off again!!
-Ardis