Standard Siouan Web Fonts

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Dec 6 05:59:47 UTC 2000

I have been able to successfully test the Standard Siouan Web fonts
(Portable Font Resources) with Microsoft Internet Explorer.  They should
work with Netscape browsers, too, under Windows and probably under Unix,
but I have yet to test this.  To see an example, connect to:

http://spot.colorado.edu/~koontz/pfrtest/pfr.htm

Only the Manuscript face examples work.  The Doulos examples don't.  I
think the reason is that each pfr file has to have specified a limiting
URL, naming the site at which the font works.  I tried to finesse thiswith
the Doulos face fonts by naming the URL http:, but that doesn't seem to
work, at least not with the demo version of Bitstream WebFont Wizzard.

They can't sell as many real copies of the Wizzard if they let you unleash
fonts like that, and, of course, they have a legitimate fear that someone
might unleash some of their own commercial fonts for general Web use.
Anyway, with the Manuscript face fonts I specified a limit of
http://spot.colorado.edu, which worked.  Of course, they won't work for
anyone else, I'm afraid. That is, you should be able to see them in my
pages, but not to download them and make pages of your own with them.

Needless to say, now that it appears that this technology works, I hope to
proceed beyond the demo version of the Wizzard, preferably to something
that permits no-restrictive URLs, and, when I have, I will release pfr
files for the Siouan fonts.

In the meantime, anyone who has a Windows system in which the fonts have
been installed by more mundane processes - download, unzip, install with
the Control Pannel Fonts tool - can see these fonts in a Web page.  The
browsing party installs the fonts, and the page producing party specifies
the use of the fonts using <font> directives or CSS.  I won't go further
into the details here.

If you want to create up to ten pfr fonts yourself, you can do this with
the demo version of the Bitstream WebFont Wizzard, available to anyone
from the Bitstream site

http://www.bitstream.com and go to Products > WebFont Products

There is also some useful information at

http://www.truedoc.com

You also need the Standard Siouan (or other) fonts from

http://www.colorado.edu/linguistics/cesnalps/Services/ssfonts.htm

John Koontz