Sunroot use among First Nations

Galloway, Brent BGalloway at sifc.edu
Tue Feb 8 23:17:12 UTC 2000

Terry,
Interesting e-mail about the sunchoke and your research and development on
it.  I can't contribute much, but I did find the plant and its name in
Upriver Halkomelem.  The elders called it 'wild artichoke' and showed me
samples from Sardis and Seabird Island, which I dried in a plant press and
took to Nancy Turner to help me identify.  As I suspected from the botany
books, it was Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus).  The Upriver
Halkomelem word for it is xa'xakw' (where both x's should be underlined in
the Sto':lo writing system used in the Fraser Valley, showing that they are
uvular, the first a should have an acute accent showing it has high tone and
is equivalent to digraph/ash, and the last kw' is for a glottalized
labialized velar stop.  The literal meaning is probably 'wedged in'.  It is
one of several kinds of "Indian potato" according to the elders.  It has an
edible root or bulb.  Could be eaten raw, cooked or dried.  Grew on Seabird
Island and by Chehalis, within their (Sto':lo) territory.  (Sto':lo in the
orthography has an o [phonemically and phonetically [a], with an acute
accent over it (high phonemic tone), followed by : for phonemic length, and
the final o should have a macron over it [o].  This is written up in my
Upper Sto':lo Ethnobotany, published by Coqualeetza Education Training
Centre in 1982 and used as a teacher's guide in the Sto':lo Si'tel Indian
studies curriculum used in the Fraser Valley school system for a number of
years (maybe even still used there). I'm doing some work in field methods
course this semester with Leona Kroeskamp on Assiniboine and I will ask her
if she knows the plant and knows a term for it in Assiniboine.
				Hope this helps.

Brent Galloway