heyoka mistranslation

SHEA KATHLEEN DORETTE kdshea at falcon.cc.ukans.edu
Tue Feb 22 17:41:20 UTC 2000

Mr. Masthay,

I'm going to forward your question to the Siouan list so that someone who
reads it may answer it.  Even though I said that I am a Siouanist, I study
Ponca, in the Dhegiha branch of the Siouan language family.  I'm in
Oklahoma right now and don't have my Dakota mateials with me, and, anyway,
someone who studies one of the Dakota dialects could probably give you a
better translation of the material you quote.

Kathy Shea