CHIWERE etymology

Louanna Furbee FurbeeL at missouri.edu
Wed Feb 23 16:49:52 UTC 2000

Alan,  This is news to me.  As far as I know there is no satisfactory gloss
for Chiwere, although some of the historical types might dig out an
etymology for it.  I had no idea Dorsey had an analysis or gloss.  None of
my informants were very helpful, but that may be because there is a story
about taboo behavior engaged in by Otoes when they were first affiliated
with the Missourias, and one of the names for Otoes  makes reference to it.
I'll have to look some of that stuff up.  Just got back from AAAS meeting
in DC.  Sorry to be late in replying.  I'm copying in Jill Davidson and
Lori Stanley to see if they have any help to offer.  Best, Louanna