CHIWERE etymology

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Thu Feb 24 21:22:44 UTC 2000

Thanks to Jimm, John and Louanna:

Jimm and John, do you think it might be possible to reach a fairly
high-confidence consensus between your etymological suggestions? And
John, I was interested in the Dhegiha/Chiwere parallels.

Louanna:

> taboo behavior engaged in by Otoes when they were first affiliated
> with the Missourias, and one of the names for Otoes makes reference to it.

Jimm and Bob Rankin have posted messages touching on this subject.
Thanks very much for inquiring of your informants and for looking things
up. I don't want to send anyone on a wild goose-chase, but I do want OED
ethnonym etymologies to take account of everything we know.

Best regards,

Alan