D.Rood & A.Taylor's "Sketch of Lakhota" online!

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Feb 28 07:45:06 UTC 2000

> With a permission of David and Smithsonian Inst. I
> published the "Sketch of Lakhota, a Siouan Language",
> (H.N.A.I. Vol.17, pp.440-82).
> http://www.wablenica.newmail.ru/lakhota.htm

Sure enough!  I checked it out quickly.  It's nice to have this reference
accessible via the Net.  Note that you can search the text using your
browser's search mechanisms.

> The Lakhota spellings are NetSiouan and Colorado (in
> Unicode).

It could be something about my setup, but in the NetSiouan version glottal
stop appears as ~~~ on my system.

I also happened to notice a small typo (without really checking for such
things or noticing any others):

1.4.1. /w y h/ at the Beginning of a Words

(Spurious plural)

> Presently I'm preparing the online version of "Dakota
> Grammar" of Boas & Deloria!

That will be another coup!

WibadhahaN!