"Lumbee" word list.

Robert L. Rankin rankin at lark.cc.ukans.edu
Mon Jan 24 14:31:52 UTC 2000

> Blueberries and huckleberries are related but different.  Blueberry is
> genus vaccinium and huckleberries are genus gaylussacia.  More
> relevantly the latter are smaller and seedier and purpler I think.
> Not linguistically relevant but important for pie.

Taste exactly the same to me.  Down South the consensus used to be that
blueberries were the domesticated variety and huckleberries were the wild
variety.  I wonder how far back the split goes?

By the way, the Lumbee word list is accompanied by a "New Lumbee
Alphabet".  At first I thought it might have been ripped off from the
Cherokee syllabary, but on closer inspection, it is clear that someone
just took the 26 letters of the Roman alphabet and modified each one with
an extra stroke or two.  Very amateurish.  What I'm hoping is that when I
find Walt Wolfram's and Natalie Estes' email addresses and copy them with
the list, that they'll check it with a few of their informants to see if
it really is thought of as Lumbee vocabulary, or if it was made up by some
one as a stunt.