"to wound"

R. Rankin r.rankin at latrobe.edu.au
Mon Jul 24 01:17:27 UTC 2000

> > Speaking of peculiar verbs, we still do not have a Dhegiha conjugated
> > set for *?o: 'to wound' or 'to shoot at and hit'.  Dorsey 1890 pretty
> > consistently puts the glottal stop in this one in Omaha:
> I found the following in LaFlesche's ms. text:
>
> a-u-te shti woN
> a[?]u=        the=         s^tewaN
> I wounded him the (places) (where)so ever
> "the wounds that I made "
> This suggests that the verb was inflected regularly for Francis LaFlesche.
> Marino gives the Winnebago inflection as:
> 'o 'to shoot', ha?o=naN 'I shoot', s^?o=naN 'you shoot'
> Buechel lists o 'to shoot, to hit when shooting' with wao for the first
> person [wa?o (?) JEK] and uNk?opi for the inclusive (k', upright
> apostrophe).

I knew the verb had been analogically remodeled along regular lines in Dakotan
but was hoping it would have the oral equivalent of the nasal stem
conjugation, m-, z^-, etc., in Dhegiha.  It would be worthwhile eliciting it
in Ponca and Osage too while there's still time.  I'd have predicted *b-o as
the 1st person in DA if it had retained the irregular forms.  It's really hard
to find a glottal stop stem that isn't nasal.  Thanks for checking it in the
La Flesche MSS.

Robert L. Rankin, Visiting Professor
Research Center for Linguistic Typology
Institute for Advanced Study