Strange use of Quapaw article/aux.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Jun 17 22:52:37 UTC 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Koontz John E wrote:
> I think we have to have both a general name, for which positionals might
> do, and a functional name, for uses in particular contexts.  The contexts
> for the the/khe/dhaN/ge set that I know of are:
>
> - simple evidential with independent (?) sentence:  [ ... verb-(PLUR)-EVID
> ...]
> - future of surity (shall surely ...):  [... verb tta-(PLUR)-EVID ...]
> - when clauses:  [... verb EVID]-(POSTPOSITION)
> - articles (NP)-(DEM)-EVID-(POSTPOSITION)
> - INDEFINITE/INTERROGATIVE-EVID-POSTPOSITION as 'where?'
> - e-the 'may' and e-the-gaN 'maybe' "modals"

I omitted here one more modal:

  - e-iN-the 'perhaps'

Note that I think that the iN in this form may be the OP reflex of the iN
that occurs as part of the Dakota future/irrealis -iNkt- (or -ktA
conditioning iN, in a more traditional analysis).  It would be nice if
this were e-iN-tte, but I'm pretty sure it's eiNthe.