For web page makers

Shannon West shanwest at uvic.ca
Sun Jun 18 06:08:05 UTC 2000

At 08:12 PM 17/06/00 -0600, you wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Shannon West wrote:
> > Here's the address for a little tool that we developed at the
> University of
> > Victoria to help linguists use phonetic script easily on web
> > pages:  http://web.uvic.ca/lancenrd/ipa/  I thought it might be of use to
> > some fellow Siouanists.  Let me know if there are any characters that
> > aren't there that you would find useful.  However, at this time, we can't
> > accomodate all the diacritic combinations.
>
>I finally got around to checking this out, and it is certainly something
>anyone planning to use IPA might want to look at.  I suspect that it might
>be a good idea to move the character gif files to a local location and
>revise the HTML to point to this local location. Otherwise UVIC's site
>might receive quite a pounding if this approach became widespread.

Yes.  That is in the plan.  We want to let people download the gifs and
then change the 'path to graphics' box.  (That's why it's there).  When
it's changed, the html changes as well.

>I suppose that froma Siouanist point of view, the characters I miss are
>the ones that Siouanists use that come out of the Americanist tradition,
>as opposed to the IPA, e.g., things with haceks and ogoneks.

I made c, j, s, and z with haceks.  What else would you like to see?  It's
basically my project, so I can add some if you think you'd use it.  And
what are ogoneks?

Shannon West