For web page makers

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 19 15:55:43 UTC 2000

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Shannon West wrote:
> Aha!  That's what that thing is called!  Hmm, so each vowel would need one
> of those?  Or just the basic a e i o u?

Maybe it means 'flame'?  I think I got it from a reputable source, but
it's well known on the Web that my Slavic etymologies are weak.

Anyway, for most Siouan languages, aiou suffice, but e occurs in various
primary sources for various reasons.  For Tanoan you need ae and open o,
too, I think, plus all the other vowels, in combination with acute, grave,
and circumflex.  Also with capitals you ever plan to work with texts of
any size. The Tanoanists, of course, are on their own as far as this list
is concerned :-) but I keep having to worry about them personally, and
I can report that their vowel systems are a real nuisance.  You can't even
fit them into the "wastage" in a standard-sized font, at least if you want
capitals.