Strange use Dakota kiN.

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Mon Jun 19 16:20:07 UTC 2000

> > The other one
> > which we gloss as 'the aforesaid', k7uN, marks either a
> > past-before-the-past clause (English aux. "had" + past ppl) or a strong
> > assertion of truth.  When kids are having the kind of argument that in
> > English goes "did not."  "did so."  "did not."  "did so." the Lakhota
> > equivalent is "s^ni."  "k7uN."  "s^ni".  "k7uN."
>
> I've always assumed that k?uN was just a compound of ki(N) + ?uN 'do' with the
> usual initial syllable syncope operating.  So "does so" or "did so" looks like
> a nearly exact equivalent.

	That seems very far-fetched semantically to me for the article
meaning. Perhaps you should also know that plain ?uN is apparently in free
variation with k?uN. If you're looking for compounding, I'd look instead
at the postposition ?uN 'with; because", but even that doesnt' make
semantic sense to me.

	David