new track: ?uN

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 20 18:49:57 UTC 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Koontz John E wrote:
> In OP aN is both 'do' (in compounds and as auxiliary) and 'use', as far as
> I can recall.

Examples of maN/z^aN/aN/aNaN as 'to use something':

(1)

AN'kka=z^hi, ppi'=az^i=s^tes^te=waN  s^aN' maN'=tta=miNkhe
I-NEG        even if it is a bad one yet   I will use it
jod 1890:165.1-2

No, even if it is a bad one I will use it (maN).

(2)

NaNb=u'dhixdha ga'=dhaN z^aN',       dhagdhe'=tte,
Ring           that     (if) you use you will go homeward
jod 1890:190.11

If you use (z^aN) that ring, you'll go home.

(3)

Ha'az^iNga sa'sa=khe  e'     aN'=bi=ama
cord       the broken it was he used, they say
jod 1890:165.5

It was the broken cord that he used (aN).

(4)

Kki, hedh=u'baz^aN aNaN'=tte   ha
And, swing         we will use DECm
jod 1890:163.5

We'll use the swing.

This person looks rearticulated, though with Dorsey it's not possible to
be sure.

(5)

Another verb 'to use' (regular).  Smoking is always a good place to look
for interesting morphosyntaxes and glottal-stop stems, though this one
sort of fails on both counts!

Nini'   aiN'=tta=miNkhe
Tobacco I will use
jod 1890:441.6

I will smoke.

Examples of maN/z^aN/aN/aNaN as 'to do something'

(6)

E=a'=thaN a'=maN wi bdha'th e=the'=daN
How       I do   I  I eat   apt?
jod 1890:60.3

What shall I do so that I may eat?
(The a= is the indefinite demonstrative.)

(7)

ga'=maN=tt     e'=skaN=bdh=e'=gaN
I will do that I expect [that perhaps I am like to think]
jod 1890:257.15

I expect that I will do that (what you saw)

(8)

E=a'=thaN a=z^aN'     aN'dhastage     a
Why       you do that you cluck at me QUEST
jod 1890:62.2

Why do you cluck at me?

(9)

ga'=z^aN    e=he'=kki=s^ti
you do that when I also said
jod 1890:583.6

I also said that if you do that

I didn't find any third person examples.

(10)

S^i,   e=da'=daN aNaN'=tte  a
Aagain what      will we do QUEST
jod 1890:163.4

Again, what will be do?

=======

It looks like the overwhelming tendency is for 'to do something' to have a
preposed demonstrative.  I've used simple examples, but just about any
sequence of DEM + g(i) + aN seems to occur.  If the gi is present
(contracts to gaN with aN alone), the sense is 'to him'.  The verbs have
readings 'to do this/that/thus (to someone)'.  Without a demonstrative
gaghe 'to do, to make' is generally substituted.

JEK