Strange use of Quapaw article/aux.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 20 19:03:21 UTC 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Catherine Rudin wrote:
> By the way,  I'm not always good at hearing aspiration, but I'm pretty sure I've
> always heard the Omaha "future" tta=i=the with an aspirated th in the last part.
> And aren't there examples of tta=i=khe etc. too?  It sure looks like
> potential+evidential instead of double potential to me.

Well, undeniably what you hear would tend to have pretty heavy weight.
I've just never heard it.

I do find =tta=khe:

>>From my letter on "More Evidentials"

====

In Future of Surity

The future of surity 'shall surely' consists of tta FUTURE + the
EVIDENTIAL usually.  Here is an example or two with tta + khe.
I looked for tta + dhaN or tta + ge without any luck.

e=da'=daN ua'z^i= tta=khe'=   s^ti waN'gidhe oN?i'=i:
what      I plant will surely too  all       he has given to me:
jod 1890:518.3

MaNdhiN'c^hakki iNs^?a'ge t?e'=tta=khe.
Manthin tcaki   old man   will surely die as he reclines
jod 1890:765.8

===

I think the first of these is actually a relative clause ending in a
future, with a =khe type subject, now that I look at it.  But I still like
the others.

JEK