EgaN (was Re: Tense, aspect and time in Siouan.)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 23 15:15:33 UTC 2000

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, R. Rankin wrote:
> There is the very widespread egaN/ekaN meaning 'like'.  John: do you derive
> that particle from the same source?  Semantically it "sort of" fits.

Ardis seems to be off-line at the moment, or she could join me in our
shared pastime of egaN-counting:

egaN 'to be thus to one; to be like something'
egaN 'yes; agreeement'
egaN ~ gaN ~ aN (use one or other:  egaN very common, gaN rare, aN
     unusual)
     'having' conjunction (temporally, etc., preceding clause
marker)
egaN 'in order to' (with following clause, different accentuation)
egaN required particle with e=..dh(e)=e=gaN 'to think'
egaN 'sort of' (more general post verbal use)

I think this isn't the full list, but it's a start.

You can't speak Omaha-Ponca without egaN.