"to wound"

R. Rankin r.rankin at latrobe.edu.au
Mon Jun 26 04:47:55 UTC 2000

Speaking of peculiar verbs, we still do not have a Dhegiha conjugated
set for *?o: 'to wound' or 'to shoot at and hit'.  Dorsey 1890 pretty
consistently puts the glottal stop in this one in Omaha:

?uu-biama (24.6) 'he wounded him, they say.'

maN naNba i?u-biama  (46.8)  'wounded with two arrows'

kki wiN ?ui the  (189.9)  'and one wounded it'

wi u dhiNgexti  (439.8)  'I wound no one'

this last example should have given us the 1st person allomorph used
with "glottal" stems having oral vowels, but unfortunately it appears as
though Dorsey wrote the independent pronoun instead.

My recollection is that Dakotan has promoted the verb analogically into
the regular (wa-, ya-) paradigm, but there should have been an older
irregular form in b- probably.

Robert L. Rankin, Visiting Professor
Research Center for Linguistic Typology
Institute for Advanced Study