EgaN (was Re: Tense, aspect and time in Siouan.)

Catherine Rudin CRudin at wscgate.wsc.edu
Mon Jun 26 14:07:59 UTC 2000

I don't doubt your historical analysis, John, but surely something this
fossilized isn't to be analyzed as part of present-day Omaha grammar.  In the
modern language e=dhegaN is simply the verb "to think", so this really isn't
"another egaN".

Actually all or at least most of the "other egaN's" are clearly related
semantically; I'd tend to assume they are the same item, just taking on
different shades of meaning in different contexts.  So there's just one egaN
(maybe 2?), with various uses.  Are you(all) really suggesting there are 6 or
more homophonous items here?

 Catherine