Tense, aspect and time in Siouan.

R. Rankin r.rankin at latrobe.edu.au
Thu Jun 22 05:10:05 UTC 2000

If we still have differences on the precise function of post-verbal
positionals in Dhegiha, we at least are making real progress on
understanding tense (such as it is) and aspectual relationships in
several languages.  It looks to me as though there may be a perfect and
an imperfect, both derived from *?uN 'do' ultimately.  It may be that
only one of the two is found in a given language, or we may yet discover
both throughout Mississippi Valley Siouan (tho' with all the work that's
been done on Dakotan, I tend to doubt that, since someone would have
probably spotted it).

And on an earlier matter.  The CSD files show the following cognate set
for 'use', demonstrating, I think, that it is 'do with'.

LA    ?uN       'use'
CH    inu
WI    hi?uN    'use'
OP    iN ~ aN ~ aaN  'use'
KS    weaN  'eat with'
QU    iaN      'use'
BI     yoN      'do with'
TU    ioN      'use'

The 'be' meaning for *?uN is also found at least in Winnebago ?u:N 'do,
make be, wear'.

Robert L. Rankin, Visiting Professor
Research Center for Linguistic Typology
Institute for Advanced Study