Painting (was Re: Oglala)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 20 00:23:03 UTC 2000

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Ardis R Eschenberg wrote:
> I was given the form 'uga' to mean to color.

I found uga in Mark Swetland's vocabulary, and ugiga 'to paint one's own'
in Dorsey, referring in the context to painting a child.  The fist wasn't
inflected, and the latter was in a regular second person, as would be
expected with a suus (aka reflexive possessive).  There were several other
verbs 'to paint' including kki?aN 'to paint one's face'. Osage has
o...sta, and Mark had a reference to a form based on this stem (u...sna),
too.