Oglala (was Re: Locative Postpositions)

Robert L. Rankin rankin at lark.cc.ukans.edu
Wed Mar 15 16:12:55 UTC 2000

> Sorry, I guess it's obvious that the forms correspond:
>
> Dakota  (o-)k-da (-da)
> Lakota  (o-)g-la (-la)
> OP      (u-)b-dha(-dha)

Actually the Dakota/Lakota forms DO correspond precisely and in the
expected ways.  It is the Omaha-Ponca form that is a "false friend".  A
correctly corresponding Omaha form would be:

	   u- g-dha(-na)

Omaha would have to have both the -g- and the -n- in order to match.  No
other form could be cognate as far as I know.  Whether there exists such
a form or not in OP is up for grabs.  I don't know of any such.

> Dorsey
> as cited by Hodge gives the OP form as Ubchacha: I spose that's just a
> different spelling of the same affricate.)

Yes.  I haven't seen the Hodge, but apparently he mistook the C with a
stroke through it that Dorsey used for dh for a ch.