Oglala (was Re: Locative Postpositions)

Ardis R Eschenberg are2 at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Mar 17 20:54:59 UTC 2000

With regards to the below part of John's message about the derivation of
river names, I thought it might be nice to give an example I obtained
yesterday when making a worksheet for second graders here in Macy with
Omaha elder Mrs. Marcella Cayou.
I was given the form 'uga' to mean to color.  Here's an example:

Wamuske skithe niashiNga zi     shabe  uga.
bread    sweet man       yellow dark   color
'Color the gingerbread man brown.'

This supports that such morphemes might occur with rivers with colors in
their names.
Happy St. Pat's,
Ardis Eschenberg
SUNY at Buffalo
Wayne State College

This note refers to the following (piece of) email from Koontz:
Note that the pattern of o + ka is common in derivations referring to
color or appearence, as OP niN ugas^ude 'the White River' (sometimes
confused with the Missouri or niN s^ude).

The ka instrumental refers usually to 'striking', but there seems to be a
minor use (or homophonous morpheme) referring to action by wind or water
flowing.  The sense of ugas^ude might be 'flows in turbid' or 'renders
itself turbid'.  I'm not clear on this.  Dorsey's work includes ugaz^ide
'to shine through red', ugat?iNze 'flow thickly', uga?e 'be scattered
there', ugas^abe 'make a distant shadow', ugazi 'make a yellow glare'.
Perhaps 'shining' or 'appearing' involves 'flowing (to the eye)'?  Or
perhaps it simply 'strikes (the eye)'.  We also have ugas^aN 'to travel'.