More on Dhegiha Evidential

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue May 2 07:04:48 UTC 2000

The following is material from Ardis Eschenberg, posted by permission:

I basically agree with John (though I likely have less evidence!), but I
do get the with declarative I think.

Dorsey 58.8
wa'uzhiNga dhittuspa haNbthiNge aNkki'ai dhaNshti waNgishe-xti we'iN
old lady   grandson  beans       we hoed heretofore all-very   carry for us
                                for ourselves

agii the        he, a-bi-ama.
was coming back DEC said-Prox-QUO

'Your grandson was coming back hither carrying away from us all the beans
we hoed for ourselves.'they said.

I think there are other examples, but I can't find them now.
I'm pretty sure the above is the and not tta due to context alone (the
granson was already there and hidden).  I have to think more about the
exact parameters of when it is used.  John's explanation seemed pretty
good to me.  Also, it occurs in the right place for an evidential type
clitic.

-Ardis